KRT closes pre-trial investigation of Duch
The Mekong Times
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
The Khmer Rouge Tribunal(KRT)'s prosecutors have completed gathering evidence for the case file of Ka-ing Guek Eav, alias Duch,
the chief of the regime's infamous S-21 detention center, bringing his public trial, the court's first, a step closer.
The file contains 900 pieces of evidence against Duch and supports the KRT's charges against him of crimes against humanity, grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions, and torture and homicide, said a KRT
"This final submission ... should greatly assist the co-investigating judges in their drafting of the closing order, which will stand as the indictment against Duch before the Trial Chamber," added the co-prosecutors.
Since his arrest in July last year, Duch has been interviewed 27 times by the
co-investigating judges and has participated in two "reconstructions" where he was confronted by victims and former S-21 staff.
More than 63 witnesses have also been interviewed by the judges including surviving victims, former guards and background witnesses. "They have pro- vided a harrowing depiction of the crimes committed at S-21," said the KRT
KRT Deputy Administrator Knut Rosandhaug told The Mekong Times in June that he believes the trial of Duch will commence in October. Duch will be the first to be tried of the five suspects detained by the court, and he has been investigated separately from the other four.
Extracted from The Mekong Times
Issue No. 117